Monday 28 May 2018

Time, memory and light

Waiting in Schiphol airport I was attracted by the books on display ... so encouraging to suspect that people still read somewhere, somehow, despite the manifold distractions!
So I bought The Organized Mind by Daniel Levitin, greatly attracted by the words on the cover: Thinking straight in the age of information overload.
And already in the Introduction I found this:

Cognitive psychologists have provided mountains of evidence over the last twenty years that the memory is unreliable. And to make matters worse, we show staggering overconfidence in many recollections that are false. It's not just that we remember things wrongly (which would be bad enough), but we don't even know we are remembering them wrongly, doggedly insisting that the inaccuracies are in fact true.

It was that final half sentence that delighted me: doggedly insisting that the inaccuracies are in fact true.
Meanwhile there are sunsets, and trees, and water, and another world in which what I might call 'truth' is poetic.
And right now, my dearest grandchildren are watching a kids' program which is talking about the difference between what is real and what is make-believe. We are moving into wonderfully intricate waters here. I hope as I read this book I shall become enlightened...

Here is a wonderful sunset pic taken by Komal who is presently staying in my house. Amsterdam in one of its magical moments. True, or make-believe?
 I'm not quite sure which point of the possible canals it has been taken from... no matter, it's a beautiful shot, a solace to look at.

Here in Stavanger we've been having unexpectedly summery weather, much disporting outside and general happiness.
Judy and I walked all round one of the nearby lakes; I had intentionally left my smartphone at home, so no pix.
Today I went with Judy to her Norwegian class, and couldn't follow much of what the teacher was saying, but could understand if I saw the written words (sometimes!). There are many connections with Dutch and English. Great fun. But for me right now rather too much interference from Portuguese.
But that must stay at top level for another month as we can speak Portuguese in Galicia next month.
After that it will be English, Dutch, French and Norwegian.
Ah wondrous words, so sometimes crunchy, at times softly mellifluous. And so forth...
But always ambiguous, deceptive, untrustworthy, shifty and so on.
Maybe I should just stop writing ... for a while.
Poems are OK though.
Words, like poems...
Ciao for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment