Thursday 24 May 2018

A distinctly different culture...

Now in Norway for a while, having spent a few days in Amsterdam.
Back in the north, where people do not dance in the streets, but I do nevertheless notice a distinct loosening-up in social behaviour since the days when I was young and lived in the south of England.

There was a lot to do in Amsterdam, but on Whit Monday I sauntered through the sunny streets of the city centre and took some pleasing shots.
Two views from a low point on Leidsegracht. Many more... this is a highly photogenic city.
The sun stayed for several days and I managed to do some tidying up in the garden, with the help of my young next-door neighbour, Julius.
I found it very pleasant to be back on land, and with a sense of space and high ceilings...
We celebrated my granddaughter Yara's seventh birthday and mused on the passing of youth...

Here in Stavanger (Norway) I am overwhelmed by the green and the sky and the space; and the many-coloured rhododendrons! Sunset gentles across the lake, seen from my daughter's house:

Softly, the blackbird sings. Light fades slowly and dawn comes early. The water is just warm enough to swim in, at 15 degrees Celsius.
Meanwhile, down south in grey Porto, our boat Stroemhella (Norwegian name!) once more rejoices in her mast. Replaced without too much problem.
So David could chug a short way northwards to Povoa de Varzim, where she will be lifted out of the water to be cleaned and inspected.
End of a long and happy chapter in Porto. We'll always have a very warm place in our hearts and memories. Below: last night in the marina in Porto, (Leixoes) where we arrived in September 2017.
Now she's in new waters. About the same temperature as here in Stavanger, I think: I was most impressed by these young Norwegians swimming ... they admitted it was rather cold.
He didn't stay in swimming very long!

I am very happy being in this place; think of the lines:
Sweet quiet, have I found thee here,
And solitude, thy sister dear?
Outside, the blackbird pours its evening sweetness into the violet air.
Crazy confused world, how wonderful to find a corner of delight.




No comments:

Post a Comment