Thursday 28 November 2013

Dubai Days once more

The more often I come here, the more I like this place, scraped out of the desert over the past twenty years, now one of the most modern-appearing and buzzing cities in the world, I do believe!
Today, the whole of Dubai is flag-waving and horn-hooting and an official public holiday was announced: becasue they have been awared the right to hold the World Expo in 2020... the local Dubai paper described what this would mean for the city and its economy.

Meanwhile, I spend the days with my daughter and grandsons and their friends, read from time to time (when I can find  quiet moment) and talk to many people.
There will now be a succession of "holidays" since it is UAE day very soon and the boys are happily looking forward to days without school and picnics and other outdoor delights.

I am still trying to catch up with my Mesopotamia writings, so keep this brief until I'm ready with the near past.
But it's lovely here, huge light skies, the sound of hundreds of different langauges (over 200 nationalities apparently) and of course, the distant mountains above which hover the Dubai falcons.
And each culture practises in peace its traditional customs ... like Sint Nikolaas for the Dutch... shoes placed each evening with a carrot for Sint's horse.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment