Tuesday 5 September 2017

These autumn days...

I'm getting ready to return to the boat which is now in a marina in Porto (northern Portugal, on the Atlantic coast).
Change of life-style, no more space to twirl in but instead a rocking floor (!) and lullaby of the waves washing onto the sandy beach.
Bags packed, weight checked, should be just the right amount...
Too many thoughts chasing around in my head, stories friends have been telling me, tales of death and sickness, countered by the laughter of children playing in the street outside my window.
I must try to make a pic of me sitting typing at my long oak table, looking out across the narrow road, to where the roses climb up the brick wall of my neighbours' house.
Below: me looking from my balcony.
Last night I lay thinking about my life onland in contrast to my life on the boat. I still prefer a dry bed...
Something like this: how grand the sea viewed from the shore, how beautiful the clouds when not about to shower down and make the deck slippery ... and no space inside the boat to get dry...
(The painting above is of course by a Dutch master and presently hanging in Berlin.)
I love it, the soft colours, the huge sky, I feel the wind blowing, I hear it soughing in the sails (or it that only for the leaves of trees?). Very happy to be near the sea (where I was born, with the Rocky mountains on the other side).
We'll give it another try.
Seven weeks before the winter rains arrive in Porto.

3 comments:

  1. Well, seeing as you are a cruiser (albeit reluctant), I will extend to you an invitation to our summer dock party which is tomorrow. Expect about 30 distant cruiser friends (with you...31!) We are firing the wood fired pizza oven. Cheers. Oh yes, you can bring David along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand feeling torn between two lifestyles. How buddhist of you to "be where you are" when you get there, though. And how typical of you to make wherever you are into your own space. Looking forward to soggy missives from the sea. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete