Monday 6 February 2012

oh so cold...

Yes, we are witnessing historic winters... worst snowstorms in Italy for years, coldest February in the Netherlands -- also for many years, as far as I can remember ... long ago in the last century....
I am back in Amsterdam -- all white and pretty. The tropical tree (once a pot plant as a wedding present, forty years ago this May...) which has survived many a frost, presently looks pretty pathetic -- branches and finger-leaves all hanging to the ground... maybe it won't survive this time. see pic below. The snow is crispy cold but happily there is no wind.
The flight from Rome-Fiumicino was remarkably little disturbed -- only about an hour and a half late. Not bad for a paralyzed Italy.
 
I am having some sanitary improvements done upstairs -- perhaps not the ideal time to force the guys up there to descend to my floor use the loo(!)... but nice for the plumbers to be working indoors...
Lots of post to deal with, as usual when I return from the boat -- or wherever I have been travelling.
Am a little stymied right now because of my right foot, twisted in a Roman pothole. But the hobbling gives me plenty of time to admire the scenery...
Here is a snowy pictures of Torino, from a couple of years ago, but that's what it's like again... Admire the mountains...
And this is the back garden -- but the plant is much more droopy this year...

Back to the clearing-up and putting away and making phone calls. How quite the city is. Kind of magical...

No comments:

Post a Comment